The Lord knew in His infinite wisdom that the through the ages before the Second Coming and the Millennial Reign, “there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies even denying the Master who brought them, . . . many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgement from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.” (2Peter 2:1-3)
AND as the growing confusion and chaos consumes God’s Truth; believers with a saving faith (Romans 1:16 & Romans 4:1-25) would need to know the tenents on which God’s People can be certain.
Within Scripture we find glorious certainty of our faith!
1. Certainty of eternal life. “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” 1John 5:13
2. Answered Prayer. “This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.” 1 John 5:14-17
3. Certainty of victory over sin and Satan. “We know that no one who is born of God sins; (only Christ is born of God, humanity is born of man) but He who was born of God keeps him (believers) and the evil one does not touch him. (1 John 5:18)
4. Certainty that we belong to God. “We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.” (1 John 5:19)
5. The greatest Certainty of all, the incarnation, guarantees the certainty of the rest. (J. MacArthur) “And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him, who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.“ (1 John 5: 20) This is the doctrinal foundation, out of which comes love and obedience. — John MacArthur
6. Certainty of recognizing Truth. “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth, for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak, and He will disclose to you what is to come . . . All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will discloseit to you.” (John 16:13-15)
But let all who take refuge in You be glad,
Let them ever sing for joy;
And may You shelter them,
That those who love Your name may exult in You.
For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O Lord,
You surround him with favor as with a shield.
7. So then, you will know them by their fruits. (Matthew 7:20)
8. The Holy Spirit teaches us. There is no need for any other ‘teacher’. “[Y]ou have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie” (1John 2:27)